Yesterday Mom and Dad decided to rest during our trip to the
Old Town Square. They were feeling well rested this morning and as the day
began with a beautiful cool breeze they were up for the short walk. By this
time I knew some of the stories of the city and was confident that I could
navigate on my own to helps them see some of the highlights. When something
wasn’t clear we could count on helpfull assistance by a shop owner or a waiter
in one of the countless sidewalk cafes.
We walked to the Square and they were able to see the many interesting
attractions the landmark offers. I was feeling pretty confident in my
orientation, so while their energy held we were able to find our way through
side streets to find a local market and eventually make our way once again to
the Charles Bridge to join the millions of tourists who make their way across
the river each year. In passing the countless churches and magnificent concert
halls scattered throughout the city we concocted a plan to bring Mom and Dad
back to the hotel for an afternoon rest then to meet again late in the
afternoon to enjoy one of the concerts and have dinner in a local spot for our
last night in this beautiful city.
Having dropped Mom and Dad at the hotel, David and I were
off, determined not to waste a minute of this last day. We scouted the concert
hall that we thought may be Mom’s and Dad’s final choice, found a restaurant
that accepted M/C (since we had intentionally tried to rid ourselves of our
Czech Kč
this morning in the market) on the path from the concert hall to the hotel, and
decided to try it out for lunch before bringing Mom and Dad there for dinner.
Lunch was great but the local “black beer” that we tried was outstanding. We
have been wasting our time trying their Pilsners. I realize that Czechs are
known for their Pilsners and drink more of it per capita than any other nation
on earth but for me it’s their dark ale. I certainly wouldn’t call it black but
Kozel is delicious and I am very sorry we only found it on the day before we
leave!
Following lunch and feeling fairly confident we couldn’t really
get lost, we set out to wander in any direction that looked interesting. We
found treasures in the Jewish Quarter (including a shop that sold Hasidic Jew
dolls and Christmas decorations??!! It was funny to wander through the
backstreets of Prague and occasionally run into people we knew from our cruise!
We wandered all afternoon, returning to the hotel just in time to freshen up
and head out with Mom and Dad for our last night on the town.
As we suspected, Mom and Dad chose the Dvořák
Concert Hall. The Rudolfinum, named in honour of Rudolf of Habsburg (there they
are again!) is the home of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. It has a tradition
of prestigious cultural events dating back to 1885 and tonight again it didn’t
disappoint. I actually think I enjoyed this concert more than I did the concert
in Vienna as a quintet entertained, soothed and inspired us with strains of
Mozart, Vivaldi, Pachelbel, Bach, Brahms, and of course the local favourite Dvořák.
The performance was outstanding and I couldn’t help but think of Nancy and
Cliff who would both have LOVED this evening, right down to the encore number
which was a lively and fun piece played entirely by picking while they held
their instruments like guitars – including the cellist!! The music was
punctuated with percussive sounds made by tapping and stroking the wooden parts
of their instruments! They obviously
enjoyed the playful performance and the audience was clearly delighted!
Following the concert we wandered into the Jewish Quarter
and arrived once again at the Black Kat to confirm that Kozel was indeed as
good as we first thought. So were the apples, fried in cinnamon, soaked in rum
and served with a generous dollop of fresh cream. Time to go home while I still
fit in one seat on the airplane!
Townhall in the Jewish Quarter has two clocks - one has Roman symbols, the other Hebrew.
Czech people were very welcoming and friendly but I guess they really didn't want you to sit on their window ledges!
Charles Bridge. During the flood two months ago this bridge was closed when the water level prevented foot traffic!
Many streets like this, very Venetain! Not sure if you can see the locks on these bridge. Apparently young couples are now doing this all over Europe to "seal their love"! A really problem though as the cheap locks are corroding the bridges. City officials come our with bolt cutters and remove them at night. Within a short time it's full like this again!
Every city has a Irish bar and a British pub!
Gates designed to accommodate cornerstones!






No comments:
Post a Comment