While international travel leads to exciting places, the
process of getting there is somewhat trying! Here I sit in Helsinki, bound and
determined to finish (no pun intended!) this blog before I succumb to much
desired sleep! When we are down to one sleep in the great countdown, I
generally don’t do that very well! With the anticipation of adventure
lingering, my mind races to possibilities, packing lists, to dos...and the
sheer adrenaline level affords little sleep. Heading out on an overnight,
international flight already tired and sleep deprived could, I suppose, work in
your favour – it doesn’t! Planes were not designed for sleeping. Time zones
mess you up! The land of the midnight sun messes with your head. It all comes
together to provide blogging time at 7:30 pm on July 18th or 2:30 am
on July 19th or whatever time it is!
While I can say nothing for the vessels provide by Finnair,
their customer service more than makes up for the smallest seats, with the
least amount of leg room I have ever experienced. From the moment we arrived at
check-in and they saw that we had Mom and Dad both in wheelchairs (an
unfortunate but very necessary consequence of their stage of life – my mother,
initially not crazy about the idea, now admits that we could not have gotten
here without it!) they were helpful and accommodating. We were whisked to the
front of every line, given countless offers from Finnair representatives to
assist with the wheelchairs. We didn`t need to respond to the pre-boarding
call, they came to us with two people to assist with the wheelchairs and had us
onboard before they made their first announcement! They have even forwarded our
bags directly through to Budapest. Ooops, weren’t expecting that but oh well!
Hope that all works out well. When the employee discovered that we were not
prepared for that she offered that it was a great excuse to go shopping! She
clearly doesn’t know me – these clothes have served me well for two days,
what’s one more?!!! Following a long, painful but uneventful flight, we
unfortunately had to navigate stairs directly onto the tarmac. Beginning to
follow the other passengers to a waiting bus we were approached by a young girl
who called us by name and directed us to a waiting private transport that
brought us directly to the terminal door. When I say directly, I mean directly!
I thought the driver meant to drive into the terminal when he went up onto the
sidewalk in front of the door! Another representative with two wheelchairs was
there to greet us and offered us a tour of the terminal to show us where we
need to go in the morning, where to go in the morning to get wheelchairs and
helpful tips like where to find the Otto (the local version of an ATM so we can
easily obtain Euros), before bringing us directly to the stop for hotel
shuttles and explaining the very convenient transit system in Helsinki! And all
of this in perfect English with a delightful Finish lilt! We had noticed on the
plane that Finnish is very pleasant to the ear. We have been humbled to admit
that we doubt that someone travelling from Finland to Toronto would receive as
great an accommodation as we have received. Travel is an important reminder in
the value of welcome!
So here we
are in Helsinki and the outskirts, geographically, reminds me very much of Newfoundland.
Quite spread out with plenty of trees, they even have lupines growing along the
sides of the road. David and I left Mom and Dad at the hotel to rest and headed
out for some exploring. We have discovered that Helsinki has a wonderful network
of walking / biking trails that is very easy to follow, that mall shopping in
Helsinki is the same as it is anywhere else, and when you look closely to
notice interesting little nuances that remind you that you are not in Kansas
anymore! About the only fault I can find with the Finnish is they clearly have
a preference for socks and sandals. I don’t mean some Finnish, it’s very
common. I don’t mean middle-aged male Finnish; women here also commit the
blatant fashion crime! Crazy fashion culture but still ugly!
Following a
delicious meal that included some delicious local flavor – local lager (of course!),
fried beetroot (delicious) and cloudberries (what they call bakeapples here) –
we were back in our room for an early night in preparation for our early morning
flight to Budapest. Apparently we are going to do that on very little sleep. Oh
well, plenty of time for that when we get home.
Lupins
Walking and bike path signs. Even in Finnish, easily followed.
Office building signs.
Mall signs - crocs, Nokia, and H&M the only familiar names but the stuff inside is all the same!




No comments:
Post a Comment